Lent Life

Friday, October 5, 2012

Cloth DIaper Adventure Part 1

So I received my first set of cloth diapers about a week ago from my Grandma.  She bought me 11 diapers to get started.  I have to say when I got them in the mail I couldn't wait to open them.  They come wrapped in their each individual package.  When looking online there are so many different choices for cloth diapers.  After months of reading reviews and comparing prices I decided to go with the Kawii Baby Diaper at http://www.theluvyourbaby.com/  The prices are very reasonable and if you order straight from them it is cheaper and they offer free shipping if you spend a certain amount.  They also have very cute designs, most other brands are solid colors.  The set I received from my Grandma were the one size snazzy minky, and I love them, they are so incredibly soft.  I also decided to go with the snaps instead of the Velcro because I feel that Velcro would wear out faster.

Once you get your diapers you have to wash them a few times before using them, this is to get out any residue that may be left on the diaper from the manufacture that can cause it to not absorb as well.  I only have access to a washer at the laundry mat so my routine may be a little different. 

Pre-Wash- I washed the full load of cloth diapers and their liners in the washer twice on cold with 1/4 the amount of detergent I would normally use.  Then I set the washer on cold wash and did not add any detergent.  You could probably just do a cold rinse but I don't have that option.  Also instead of drying them I hung them to dry on my shower rod, they actually dry quite quick.  This will allow your diapers to last longer.

When washing your diapers you want to be careful on what you wash them with, you do not want to use any bleach, fabric softener, borax, stain removers, liquid concentrates or anything that contains brighteners or fragrance.  These can damage your diapers and cause them to leak.  The colder the water you use the softer your diapers will be, and the longer they will last. 

I ordered some detergent specially for cloth diapers called Rocken Green, it has perfect reviews and also has different formulas depending on where you live.  Here in Texas we have very hard water so I got the Hard Rock one.  I will up date with a washing schedule as soon as I receive it.  I am also waiting on another set of cloth diapers that my dad ordered me, yay.  They recommend having at least 24 and you don't want to go longer than 3 days with out washing them.




No comments:

Post a Comment